IWAP forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hiking ideas around Pittsburgh

Go down

Hiking ideas around Pittsburgh Empty Hiking ideas around Pittsburgh

Post  aurelie Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:55 pm

Before I leave I wanted to share my "knowledge" on nice hiking places around Pittsburgh.

-Frick Park **: Nice easy trail, take bus 71C to Clayton House and Frick Museum. The park is big and silent! No cars.
-Schenley Park *: Nice if you like to play disc golf, or tennis, ice skating, soccer, ultimate, golf, the Panther Hollow lake trail is ok.
-Deer Lakes Park **: Especially if you are a disc golf fan! Nice trails in the woods.
-Harrison Hills park *: Good place to see deers in the woods, and nice little walk along the Allegheny river.
-North Park: not my favorite to walk but nice for a barbecue, and big outdoor swimming pool.
-Raccoon State park***: Wonderful trails in the woods, with deers and a lot of wildlife. Two lakes where you can fish and swim in summer (careful snakes).
-Settler's Cabin Park ** : Nice trail in the woods, great with dogs!
-Ohiopyle / Fallingwater ***: Wonderful place of course but a bit far.
-Moraine state park: Far away and not as good as I thought its better to go to Mc Connell's Mill on the other side of the highway.
-Mc Connell's Mill***: My favorite place! nice little hike along the river, covered bridge, old mill, and you can do a longer hike and sleep in a cabin, or do kayak. In the same day you can go see the Amish in Volant, and do some shopping in Grove City Outlets.
-Twin lakes park **: nice little place with a trail around a lake perfect for stroller, good for fishing, you can also rent Pedalo.
-Highland park : not a nice place, only the Zoo is wonderful.
-Mingo Creek park **: Nice trail in the woods, and a covered bridge.
-Hartwood acres : Nice place to go see the Christmas decoration.

If you go on google you can have maps and details of each park.
Or here are nice links too:
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/findamap.aspx
http://www.alleghenycounty.us/parks/maps.aspx

Good luck!
aurelie
aurelie
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Number of posts : 62
Home country : France
Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down